This is the first step to compliance. All providers must complete a self-assessment review for each service that they operate.
The HCBS Final Rule applies to:
- Residential and non-residential settings, including certified and licensed homes,
- Day programs, and other day-type services, and
- Employment options and work programs.
The HCBS Final Rule does not apply to:
- Nursing homes,
- Intermediate Care Facility for individuals with intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID)
- Instructions for mental diseases (IMD).
Self assessment review addresses the following as part of the HCBS Final Rule compliance verification measures:
- Are individuals using and interacting in the same environment by people without disabilities,
- Do individuals have opportunities for employment and are able to work in competitive integrated settings,
- Do individuals have control and access of their money,
- Do individuals have options and choices in where they live, work and attend day services,
- Do individuals have privacy, dignity and respect,
- Do individuals have choice and control in daily life decisions, activities and access to food,
- Do individuals have the freedom to furnish and decorate their room/home
- Do individuals have access to all areas of the setting,
- Do individuals have visitors of their choice and at any time,
- Do individuals exercise their right of freedom from coercion and restraint,
- Do individuals choose their services and supports, and
- Are individuals involved in their own planning process to the extent desired.